[Beowulf] massive parallel processing application required

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Wed Jan 31 14:37:41 PST 2007

> worked at a e-science project himself. He told me people, especially

is this "e-science" term more popular where you are?  I don't really
hear it here (Canada, probably NA in general.)  many (most) branches of
science are so dependent on computers that it seems redundant and archaic.

> scientists are "very jealous" of their data. And not replying is a kind way
> of saying "no". And there's the problem of "who's this guy wanting my data",
> "what will he do with it?".

sure - academia is all about publishing, so you don't want someone else
to scoop you.  but often concerns are much more mundane, like:

 	- how long will it transfer this 50GB blob of data?

 	- if I provide neurophysiology data from my lab, can I
 	be sued if the subjects' privacy is violated?

 	- do I have time to spend explaining how the data is encoded?

regards, mark hahn.