no 'commodity' OS is 'secure' Re: [Beowulf] Which distro for the cluster?

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Thu Jan 11 00:05:50 PST 2007

Steve Heaton wrote:

> This really blew me away... an >exact< copy of the whole live
> environment. Platforms, versions, BIOS the whole shabang. (Rumour has it
> even patch lead lengths). It was then pointed out that they're a bank.
> Money is what they do. Money is what they have. Yours! :)

Someone who worked in the City once told me "When you (a bank) handle
lots and lots of money, some rubs off on your fingers"

And re. Jim Lux's point about software errors and financial transactions
being "made good", this did happen recently in the UK.
I listen to Radio 4's 'Moneybox' programme, and a big UK bank had a
failure in the batch processing system, which led to many standing
orders being paid late. Anyone who lost money due to this was recompensed.

--
      John Hearns
      Senior HPC Engineer