[Beowulf] picking out a job scheduler

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Jan 3 06:59:47 PST 2007

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Glen Beane wrote:

> If you are doing mostly MPI, I would strongly reccoment TORQUE (a
> free, open source, OpenPBS fork with *many* enhancements).  I would not
> reccoment OpenPBS, as Altair no longer updates it and hasn't for quite
> some time.  TORQUE has great integration with mpich by using mpiexec
> from Pete at (http://www.osc.edu/~pw/mpiexec/index.php).  LAM and
> OpenMPI have native PBS (and TORQUE) support as well.

FWIW (and to me it is worth a lot:-) torque appears to be in FC 6
extras, ready to install and run.  This may or may not mean that FC is
being used as (one of) its primary development/maintenance platform(s)
-- this is often the case.  I'll have to give it a try along with condor
and yes, ruby queue.

We're more interested in using it for simple EP job distribution,
though.  Not so many people here do MPI or PVM computations, it is more
parallel simulations or parametric explorations.

   rgb