[Beowulf] anyone using 10gbaseT?

Thomas H Dr Pierce TPierce at rohmhaas.com
Wed Feb 21 06:06:16 PST 2007

Hello,

I have been using the MYRICOM 10Gb card in my NFS server (head node)  for
the Beowulf cluster. And it works well.  I have a inexpensive 3Com switch
(3870) with 48 1Gb ports   that has a 10Gb port in it and I connect the
NFS server to that port. The switch does have small fans in it.

I had to compile the driver and patch the Linux kernel (RedHat Enterprise
4U4).  There are tuning parameters, some of which I have tried and some
which I have not (Don't break it if it works well... )

It'd been running well for 4 months now. My internal cluster benchmarks (
parallel Quantum mechanics programs ) improved by about 20% with disk
backups improving by 60%. Pretty much everything that uses MPI runs faster
since the NFS server network usage is a smaller percentage of the network
wall clock time.

I think the 10Gb link to the NFS server is a effective upgrade component
of a beowulf cluster if one is using 1Gb ethernet, MPI and NFS.
------
Sincerely,

   Tom Pierce

Mark Hahn <hahn at mcmaster.ca>
Sent by: beowulf-bounces at beowulf.org
02/20/2007 03:25 PM

cc

Subject
[Beowulf] anyone using 10gbaseT?

Hi Beowulfers,
have you had any experience using 10gbaseT yet?
I happened on a media story about how quite a few vendors have
recently intro'd support for it.  the only nics mentioned were
the heavyweight encumbered-with-TOE kind - on them at least,
the article mentioned 20-25W dissipation.  (which doesn't seem
like a big deal - about a disk and a half, fraction of a cpu,
or a tenth of a GPU :)

anyway, I'm interested to hear if anyone's played with 10gbaseT
(or 10G clusters in general)...

thanks, mark hahn.