[Beowulf] RE: S2466 permanent poweroff, round 2

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Thu Feb 8 13:18:18 PST 2007

After a lot of work, and much help at the kernel level from
Alexey Starikovskiy,  the solution turned out to be using

  chkconfig --del

to turn off all of these:

  acpi, acpid, harddrake, haldaemon, wltool, messagebus, mandi

and also to move asus_acpi.ko out of the /lib/modules tree.  I have
no idea why the asus module was loading (this being a Tyan motherboard)
but it was.

Along the way, with various combinations of the above services turned
on I observed some incredibly bizarre misbehavior on this system.  While
logged onto the console (not in X11) either "reboot" or "poweroff" would
often lock at "Sending all processes the KILL signal...", which is
killall5.  Once or twice it locked at the message before, "Sending all
processes the TERM signal...".  In one instance it rebooted and then
crashed in the BIOS.  With all of these services disabled it seems to
run reliably now.  Additionally, when acpid was running it was possible
to shutdown the system by pushing the front panel button, but then the
next "poweroff" would lock at the "KILL signal" message.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu