[Beowulf] massive parallel processing application required

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Feb 1 06:20:11 PST 2007

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Douglas Eadline wrote:

> For those interested in other engineering and scientific uses
> take a look at:
>
> http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/genalg/genalg.html

Fabulous article, actually.  Thanks!  I've actually written a parallel
GA embedded in a NN training program, and have been working for years in
a desultory fashion on building a "super"-GA that can get past several
of the "problems" GAs have -- primarily premature convergence, which
actually has a rather nasty scaling structure as one tries to find the
"better" local optima in a problem with a complex/rugged fitness
landscape in high dimensionality, and a few other problems that aren't
well known (or at least aren't published much, possibly because they are
worth a lot of money:-).

This review of GAs is one of the best I've read, even better than
Wikipedia's which is saying a lot!

    rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu