[Beowulf] massive parallel processing application required

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Thu Feb 1 03:43:32 PST 2007

Jim Lux wrote:
> At 02:03 PM 1/31/2007, Robert G. Brown wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 Jan 2007, Mitchell Wisidagamage wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you very much for the fire dynamics idea. I will have a look at
>>> it.
>>>
>>> I did try to contact many e-science projects including some
>>> researchers at Oxford. But I got no reply. Then I went to get some
>>> contacts from a tutor who worked at a e-science project himself. He
>>> told me people, especially scientists are "very jealous" of their
>>> data. And not replying is a kind way of saying "no". And there's the
>>> problem of "who's this guy wanting my data", "what will he do with it?".
>>>
>>> I have given up the e-science idea. Now looking for other real world
>>> applications.
>>
>> Remember, NASA puts all (or at least a lot) of its e.g. weather data
>> online.
>
> Well.. not exactly NASA.. operational "weather" data is the province of
> NOAA.  NASA does research, not operational, data, so there's typically a
> time lag, especially for processed and calibrated data.
>
> By and large, most environmental data collected by NASA winds up in
> DAACs (Distributed Active Archiving Centers). Physical Oceanography
> data, for instance, winds up at PO-DAAC...
> http://www-podaac.jpl.nasa.gov/ which has data for sea surface
> temperature, sea surface topography, and ocean vector winds acquired by
> NASA instruments.  This whole process is very well documented, and the
> data moves through the various levels of processing and into the
> archives in a regular and stately fashion.
>
> But, for instance, the live data from a single instrument (e.g. QuikSCAT
> for ocean winds, on which I worked) also gets fed to a realtime process
> at NOAA within about an hour after it's received on the ground every 100
> minutes, and thence to folks like NCAR who run numerical models, which
> then winds up at the NWS and makes the weather predictions more accurate
> on the evening news.  This is a bit harder to find in a reliable online
> source, especially if you want things gridded into standard geographic
> grids, etc.   It's all out there, but since the funding stream for
> distribution is more tenuous (NOAA doesn't have as much money as NASA
> for this sort of thing, but they do have "real time" requirements), the
> data tends to be a bit more "raw" or idiosyncratic, and not necessarily
> in HDF files, etc.  It tends to be in whatever format is convenient for
> them, which may or may not be convenient for you.

For research purposes, the National Centers for Environmental Prediction
(ftp://ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/com/) makes available all
their model runs on a 6-hourly schedule.  These data are available for
~3 days, then expire off the servers here.  Historical data subsets are
available via the National Climatic Data Center NOMADS portal
(http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/) which was designed to facilitate access
to the datasets.  The National Centers for Atmospheric Research
(http://www.ncar.ucar.edu/) allows access to some limited historic data
in their archives without restriction and facilitates scientific
research with accounts to scientists.