[Beowulf] Using Autoparallel compilers or Multi-Threaded librarieswith MPI

Eray Ozkural examachine at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 09:49:30 PST 2007

On Dec 14, 2007 6:41 PM, Tom Elken <tom.elken at qlogic.com> wrote:
> [...]

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

> I guess I was relying on memory of readers about my original post about
> this subject.  Since that post was way back in November, that was a
> dangerous assumption.  Thankfully we have an archive:
> http://www.beowulf.org/archive/2007-November/020211.html
>
> 'Autoparallel features with MPI' came from this in the original post:
> "I was wondering how many people use either auto-parallel compiler
> features, or multi-threaded math libraries (Goto, MKL, ACML, etc.) to
> provide some thread-level parallelism on a cluster where you primarily
> use MPI to achieve your parallel execution.*"
>
> So I meant that the source code is parallelized using MPI.  Then in an
> effort to create something like a hybrid MPI/OpenMP program, but without
> having to add the OpenMP directives, you use the automatic
> parallelization feature of common compilers:
> -parallel  in the Intel compiler
> -apo       in the PathScale compiler
> -Mconcur   in the PGI compiler,  etc.
> to find loops which can profitably be parallelized using threads.

Well, then, I seem to recall, only in a very blurred fashion, some pragmas of
the SGI compiler. I even recall there was support in STL, or maybe I am
making up things. Quite possible.

I hadn't realized there was auto parallel features in so many compilers,
thank you for  the information. Do these guys work well?

Best,

--
Eray Ozkural, PhD candidate.  Comp. Sci. Dept., Bilkent University, Ankara
http://www.cs.bilkent.edu.tr/~erayo  Malfunct: http://myspace.com/malfunct