[Beowulf] Using Autoparallel compilers or Multi-Threaded librarieswith MPI

Tom Elken tom.elken at qlogic.com
Wed Dec 12 09:35:38 PST 2007

Results of the VERY non-scientific survey:

# reporting use of Autoparallel features with MPI:          0

# reporting use of multi-threaded math libraries with MPI:  1

The '1' was using multithreaded BLAS and MPI on HPL (a benchmark, not an
application) and his recollection was that it was not a win over pure
MPI.

I'll let you know later when we've resolved the discussion in the HPG
committee on how this might affect SPEC MPI2007.

But the discussion engendered by this post (and similar ones) was quite
entertaining and educational, with a lot of heat and some light.
Especially between my ex-SGI colleague, Joe Landman, and my ex-PathScale
colleague, Greg Lindahl.

Thanks,
Tom