[Beowulf] CSharifi Next generation of HPC

Ehsan Mousavi mousavi.ehsan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 21:47:36 PST 2007

C-Sharifi Cluster Engine: The Second Success Story on "Kernel-Level
Paradigm" for Distributed Computing Support

Contrary to two school of thoughts in providing system software support for
distributed computation that advocate either the development of a whole new
distributed operating system (like Mach), or the development of
library-based or patch-based middleware on top of existing operating systems
(like MPI, Kerrighed and Mosix), Dr. Mohsen Sharifi hypothesized another
school of thought as his thesis in 1986 that believes all distributed
systems software requirements and supports can be and must be built at the
Kernel Level of existing operating systems; requirements like Ease of
Programming, Simplicity, Efficiency, Accessibility, etc which may be coined
as Usability.  Although the latter belief was hard to realize, a sample
byproduct called DIPC was built purely based on this thesis and openly
announced to the Linux community worldwide in 1993.  This was admired for
being able to provide necessary supports for distributed communication at
the Kernel Level of Linux for the first time in the world, and for providing
Ease of Programming as a consequence of being realized at the Kernel Level.
However, it was criticized at the same time as being inefficient. This did
not force the school to trade Ease of Programming for Efficiency but instead
tried hard to achieve efficiency, alongside ease of programming and
simplicity, without defecting the school that advocates the provision of all
needs at the kernel level. The result of this effort is now manifested in
the C-Sharifi Cluster Engine.
 C-Sharifi is a cost effective distributed system software engine in support
of high performance computing by clusters of off-the-shelf computers. It is
wholly implemented in Kernel, and as a consequence of following this school,
it has Ease of Programming, Ease of Clustering, Simplicity, and it can be
configured to fit as best as possible to the efficiency requirements of
applications that need high performance.  It supports both distributed
shared memory and message passing styles, it is built in Linux, and its
cost/performance ratio in some scientific applications (like meteorology and
cryptanalysis) has shown to be far better than non-kernel-based solutions
and engines (like MPI, Kerrighed and Mosix).

Best Regard
~Ehsan Mousavi
C-Sharifi  Development Team