[Beowulf] Using Autoparallel compilers or Multi-Threaded libraries with MPI

richard.walsh at comcast.net richard.walsh at comcast.net
Mon Dec 3 14:29:56 PST 2007

From: Greg Lindahl <lindahl at pbm.com>

> On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 09:47:41PM +0000, richard.walsh at comcast.net wrote:
>
> > I think that the number of real-world apps in this class is perhaps
> > not large, or there would be more hybrid code.
>
> Ah, but you've missed the random element here: People start writing
> hybrid code before they have any proof that it helps them. Or they
> don't write it at all because they know it's complicated. Either way,
> you can't assume cause and effect of "hybrid helps me" and "my code
> is hybrid".
True, enough ... one must consider both the kinetic and thermodynamic requirements for existence, but I was thinking that the system was perhaps at equilibrium by now.  Still, it was careless of me to use non-existence to argue for either the absense of cause or presence of impossibility.  I am still waiting to get a straight flush in 5-card draw.
;-)
rbw