[Beowulf] Big storage

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 09:43:16 PDT 2007

Jeff,
I was musing about the (to me, novel) idea of multi RAID on one box
(probably the head node of a cluster or subcluster), by analogy with CPU
cache levels; RAID0 with a few 10K rpm drives for speed, RAID6 with many
7200 drives for size and reliability; then I'd be able to go fast until a
failure, then rollback to a checkpoint served by the RAID6. This is just a
gedankenexperiment.
I don't have any particular configuration in mind, I don't have a cluster
and it will probably be a small number of superannuated Alpha boxes if I do
it at all this summer.
Peter