[Beowulf] How to Monitor Cluster

Markus Sommereder markus.sommereder at tuwien.ac.at
Wed Aug 22 14:44:29 PDT 2007

Hello!
I use a cronjob to read the load average and the memory usage from
/proc/loadavg and /proc/meminfo of each node every minute and write the
data into a round robin database (rrdtool). The graphs are generated
from the database by a cgi-script when I open the monitoring webpage.
Markus

+++loadavg.sh+++
#!/bin/sh
LOAD=$(awk '{print $1":"$2":"$3}' < /proc/loadavg)
rrdtool update loadavg.$HOSTNAME.rrd N:$LOAD

+++memory.sh+++
#!/bin/sh
MEMF=`grep MemFree: /proc/meminfo|tr -s [:blank:]|cut -f2 -d" "`
SWAPF=`grep SwapFree: /proc/meminfo|tr -s [:blank:]|cut -f2 -d" "`
MEMFREE=$(expr $MEMF \* 1024)
SWAPFREE=$(expr $SWAPF \* 1024)
rrdtool update memory.$HOSTNAME.rrd N:$MEMFREE:$SWAPFREE