[Beowulf] Intel Quad-Core or AMD Opteron

Li, Bo libo at buaa.edu.cn
Wed Aug 22 06:53:20 PDT 2007

I have got some experience with Intel's Quad-core processors on desktops and servers. They are so cheap, for example, you can buy a Q6600 for only 250 USD and put it on a Intel S3000 motherboard for low-end server. The server perform about double than a old dual Xeon system.
AMD will bring their Quad-core processors, it is not a  two dual-core processer as Intel current processor and it is also a new generation architecture. I think there will be much Improvement over current AMD dual-core processors.
Quad-core means not only faster speed, but also cheaper system expenses. It can do much in HPC or HPS areas. Let's enjoy it.
Li, Bo