[Beowulf] diskless booting over jumbo frames

Amrik Singh asingh at ideeinc.com
Mon Apr 23 16:19:56 PDT 2007

Hi Paul,

I have posted the following query on the beowulf list. Here is a copy
for your reference. Someone did face similar problem earlier, that was
some time in 2003. The link is here:

We are trying to setup a cluster with jumbo frames in the hope that it
would speed up the NFS. The problem is the booting of the diskless nodes.
As the nodes boot, the kernel level IP configuration uses the default
MTU size (1500). This results in their inability to mount the root
partition from the NFS server as the server is configured to use the
jumbo frames.

We have already added  "option interface-mtu 9000;" to the dhcpd.conf on
the server, but the nodes ignore this option.

We are using SuSE-linux 10.0 and kernel version is 2.6.13-15-smp.

The MTU size on the server is set to 9000 and jumbo frames is enabled on
the switch and everything works fine if we boot from the hard drive.

thanks

--
Amrik