[Beowulf] Diskless Cluster Ram Disk Login

Julien Leduc julien.leduc at lri.fr
Mon Apr 23 13:05:16 PDT 2007

Hello Stephen,

it can be very frustrating to try to make a complete autonomous linux
system  directly on an autonomous box.
So there are some clues:
1. try to build it in a controlled environment: virtual machine for
example, or even a small chroot in your main environment to find out if
you have all the devices, required libraries...
2. you can begin your work from a booting initrd + kernel: modify the
initrd so that you stay in it, use tmpfs (or additional ramdisks), add
network drivers, then you can format a bigger ramdisk (or use full tmpfs
at the desired size mounted rw) and perform a pivot_root on it...

You should find plenty of documentation looking for "embedded linux
HOWTO", it will be easier for you since you should avoid all the cross
compilation tricky part.

For your ssh server you can try to use dropbear (smaller and specially
designed for embedded systems), be sure you know what is done with dns:
if your embedded system can resolve names? perform reverse on IPs? SSH
can be picky when it comes to DNS questions.

For my usage, I have a hacked rsh server modified to avoid any DNS
checks (every communication is based on IPs), and executes any command
as root on the embedded system.
On big clusters RSH can cause some problems if you intend to keep more
than 256 simultaneous connections from a single server.

Regards,

Julien Leduc