[Beowulf] Linux laptops, and M$ advertisement

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 13:19:41 PDT 2007

Thanks, yeah, people seem to be "voting" for Thinkpads.

But, is it 8-year-old SON proof? :-)

Since besides RGB, IBM is the **other** 600-lb Gorilla of Linux Advocacy
(installing on a wristwatch, booting 1k instances thru VMWare on a 390,
etc), it saddens me that Thinkpads only come in a choice of M$ XP Home, M$
XP Pro, M$ Vista Home, etc. I thought that the deal of HD manufacturers
being contractually obliged to install M$, on the grounds that every
customer must be presumed to **intend** installing M$ but may be conspiring
to subvert licensing, had gone away? Evidently not. You'd think if anyone
could resist that it would be IBM.

P.S. with all due respect to Torvalds, I wish I could type "Open Source
Flavors of Unix" but it's just too long a sentence fragment. And I doubt
"OSFU" will catch on. Maybe GnuFU could? My White-Eyebrow Style GnuFU
defeats your Looming Borg Style!!