[Beowulf] SGI to offer Windows on clusters

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Mon Apr 16 04:29:36 PDT 2007

Hi Mike

Mike Davis wrote:
> Andy,
>
> Debian is a possibility. I know that my friends in the UK and throughout
> Europe like it.

FWIW:  Ubuntu is quite good.  Several of the versions have an N year
support window (3-5, I don't remember N pre-coffee).

I am migrating my laptop away from SuSE to Ubuntu.  Stuff just works.
And when I needed to rebuild a kernel for a customer, building it as a
correctly packaged system was simply not painful.  It was, almost, easy.

This is what got me.  apt-get is about the same as yum if you use yum (I
had ported earlier versions to SuSE, and it was a royal pain, but yum
makes installation and update so much saner).

FWIW:  what pushed me away from SuSE was not the Microsoft agreement (I
had thought, before a certain Microsoft CEO opened his mouth, that it
could have been a good thing).  It was zmd, zypp, and the other bits.
That when logging in for the first time on my laptop (and all other SuSE
machines), it ran this update-whatever program that consumed all the
cycles and did nothing.  That and the updates didn't work.  It was good
in its day, but its day has passed.  And Ubuntu appears to be better.
Installation is easy.