[Beowulf] SGI to offer Windows on clusters

laytonjb at charter.net laytonjb at charter.net
Thu Apr 12 14:34:53 PDT 2007

Rich,

I absolutely agree with you! I've been thinking about this for a long time but
I don't have any answers for you :)  I think there are a number of people
thinking about this same problem. My best suggestion is to use the web to
launch and monitor jobs. Everyone know how to use a browser, so just going
to a URL, logging in, and filling out a simple form to run a job would be great.

I know that Platform (LSF), Altair (PBS), and Cluster Resources (MOAB) have
solutions that do this. I started to look at them at my previous job. Not too
bad in general. I also know that Joe Landman at Scalable Informatics also
has a web interface (SWICE?) that he offers his customers.

I also recently got an email about some kind of interface for CFD codes that
allows you to easily submit jobs to various schedulers and watch the progress
of the run (you could even do a simple plot if you wanted). I can't remember the
name of it and it's on my home box right now.

I think an API, whatever it looked like, that could submit jobs to various schedulers,
was simple to use, simple to add other applications would work well.

I really think the web interface is the way to go. This way you can submit jobs from
any machine that has a browser (Linux, Windows, Mac, etc.).

Jeff