[Beowulf] debugging

Greg Lindahl greg.lindahl at qlogic.com
Tue Apr 10 21:18:32 PDT 2007

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 11:19:08PM -0400, Mark Hahn wrote:

> it is unfortunate that compiling with debugging will normally disable
> a good number of valuable optimizations.

Actually, it's pretty common that compiling with debugging won't
disable optimization, but whether or not you can symbolically debug
the code you want to is unlikely... you have to stay out of all
the loop nests, because code that the compiler has transformed
just doesn't look like the source anymore.

Then again, I've never had a positive experience with a symbolic
debugger in my life, so I don't miss them. Instead, I add print
statements, and now I know only too much how that can alter
optimizations and cause bugs to become heisenbugs.

-- greg