[Beowulf] Win64 Clusters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 15:07:03 PDT 2007

Jim,
You are right, Xenix was available for the 286 in 85 (I bought my 286 in
late 83 I think) but was available for the 8088 (the CPU on the IBM PC,
everyone says 8086 because of the sequence 80286, 80386...; I think the
80186 was a special purpose processor that turned out to be more apt for
pursuing a CPU line than the 8088 was) in 83.

At the time it seemed the conventional wisdom was (to develop on unix) to
invest in the bigger word and I was oblivious to people running Xenix on a
base PC, but apparently they did, at least it was available.

I remember, I think rather later, I looked up the command "uucp" in the
Xenix programming manual (idle curiousity how they would define the acronym)
and it said "Xenix to Xenix Copy", suggesting this would only communicate
with another Xenix machine (they had expunged the word "unix" from their
docs). I don't think I ever would have considered paying money for that. Ken
is one of the nicest guys I've met and that's just insulting.

Peter