[Beowulf] Win64 Clusters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Fri Apr 6 16:46:48 PDT 2007

> The job scheduler is responsible for managing the user credentials and
> tokens as well as allocating CPUs to jobs. So if you are not going to

I guess I'm a little puzzled by the value of the credentials.
I presume these refer to the fork of kerberos that yall use, right?

I can see how the user's credentials might be relevant to the scheduler
(assuming you want restricted access to certain queues, etc.)  but that's
just the scheduler - the actual compute nodes shouldn't really care.

using the credentials for file access seems kind of iffy to me, since
it means that a whole cluster will be pounding on the corp's fileservers,
which are almost certainly not equipped to handle that sort of thing.
not to mention that this assumes that the compute nodes will each be
neworked directly into the corp's lan.  if the credentials are enabling,
say, DB access, the same concern of bandwidth/topology would apply.

to me, the concern with credentials seems to reflect an assumption of
relatively small clusters and jobs.  perhaps I'm misunderstanding, since
as I said, ms-kerb is outside my experience.