[Beowulf] How to Diagnose Cause of Cluster Ethernet Errors?

Douglas Eadline deadline at clustermonkey.net
Mon Apr 2 07:34:44 PDT 2007

Jon,

I hear your frustration. You are quite right that many of the ASICs
are the same. Implementation is important. In terms of clusters,
there are no hard and fast rules for switches. i.e.
I have fund some cheap GigE switches (like the SMC 8508T)
to be real performer (8 ports/Jumbo Frames for under $100)

I just got an SMC CGS16 to use in my test rack. So I am
a little partial to SMC at this point. However, I have not
tested the CGS16 fully so it may not live up to my
expectations. In the past I have found Foundry and Extreme
to work quite well, and give the price you pay they
should. I think the trick is to find the bargains that still
perform well.

As I see it, there three ways to buy a good switch:

1. Hire a consultant to help with the cluster (their
   experience can save money and head-aches on other
   issues as well)
2. Use Google and this list to see what you can find about a
   particular switch, but be warned most people do
   not push switches the way HPC users do so what
   is good for the back office may not be good for
   the cluster. (and pretty much ignore vendor data sheets)
3. Get some evaluation switches (or a least test
   them within the 30-day return period) for specific
   applications you plan to run. This is probably the
   best way to proceed.

Unfortunately there does not seem to be an easy way
to really test a switch. The easiest thing to do is
to run netpipe on two ports to establish a baseline.
Choose the switches that provides the best netpipe results.
Then run netpipe on ports at the same time and see if
there is degradation. This however is not the whole story,
some performance may depend on port choice (i.e.
ports may span multiple ASICs) and performance
may vary. Also, to full test a switch I would
assume that you would want to test every port
combination while the other ports were at
some constant network load. So you can probably see
why it is hard to test switches. In any
case, these treads on the list should help as
well (quite informative):

http://www.beowulf.org/archive/2006-March/015282.html
http://www.beowulf.org/archive/2006-April/015295.html
http://www.beowulf.org/archive/2006-April/015340.html

Finally, I am open to any one who can come up with
a reasonably good switch test, maybe combination
of applications and synthetic tests so that we
can at least eliminate the poor performers. I would
like to post this kind of data on ClusterMonkey.

--
Doug

--
Doug