[Beowulf] commercial clusters

Geoff Jacobs gdjacobs at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 13:19:23 PDT 2006

Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
> The basic flaw i see in some assumptions taken here is that you as a
> human want
> to do a running contest with a car.
>
> In reality that isn't the case.
>
> People just want to see whose car is better, not whether they can outrun
> the car.
Your analogy is poor. Any computer playing chess must conform to the
same rules as a human player. A better analogy would be a foot-race
between a human and a bipedal robot. Do you think 100k Ordinary
People[tm] would be willing to lay down $10k for such a curiosity?

> Additional they want to analyze their own running (most important
> feature) in the most objective manner possible, or they want to compete
> with it in a 300 KM/h contest.
>
> To look like a winner, people are prepared to pay any price.
If this were the case, we'd all drive Bugatti Veyrons and Porsche GT1s.

--
Geoffrey D. Jacobs

Go to the Chinese Restaurant,
Order the Special