[Beowulf] layer 3 switches

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Fri Sep 22 06:35:55 PDT 2006

We have tested the 5500 series Nortel switches in our cluster
environment and have seen good performance with them.  I'm not so sure
I'll buy 3Com again.  Their little foray out of real networking and then
claiming to come back didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

I've also got some Force10 S50's we've been using.  They work well but
are really too expensive for something like this.  With performance
equivalent to the 550 series, and almost a 2x cost premium, I'm not
likely to go back there.

gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983