[Beowulf] IBM p5 cluster discussion list (off-topic)

Craig Tierney ctierney at hypermall.net
Tue Oct 31 07:01:08 PST 2006

Chris Samuel wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 October 2006 10:54, Craig Tierney wrote:
>
>> Sorry to ask this question here, but is anyone familiar with
>> discussion lists around IBM power systems(p5 575), and in particular
>> their cluster solution?  I have been trying for several days
>> to find the right mailing-list or newsgroup without success.
>
> I don't know why you think this is off-topic, we run a cluster of IBM
> OpenPOWER 720's (184 cores of Power 5) running SuSE SLES 9.
>
> We use IBM's CSM for this (as well as on our IBM Cluster 1350 of x335's).
>
> Web page for it is here:
>
> http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/clusters/software/csm.html
>
> There used to be a mailing list for CSM users, but they closed it down and
> replaced it with a web based forum(!) which I've never looked at - it is here
> if you are feeling masochistic:
>
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/dw_forum.jsp?forum=907&cat=53
>
> At least I no longer get the hordes of broken Notes out-of-office responders
> replying to me every time I post..
>
> cheers,
> Chris

Thanks for the pointers.  My customer recently purchased a pSeries p5
575 cluster (8 node, 8 dual-core sockets) with GPFS, HPS, and AIX.  It
is a very standard IBM configuration, and it doesn't really run yet.
They have 2 of the eight nodes dedicated as GPFS IO servers (seems like
a waste) and they never bothered to suggest my client gets a home
filesystem setup (ugh).  I am trying to quickly re-engineer things to
get the system usable.

Craig

Thanks,
Craig