[Beowulf] Re: Sun Project "blackbox"

SIM DOG steve_heaton at iinet.net.au
Thu Oct 19 01:58:52 PDT 2006

G'day all

I remember hearing about the Australian army developing something
similar with DEC (who?) back in the early 1980's. Idea was it had to be
robust enough for a sled drop out of the back of a Herc!

Not sure how they handed the online storage. I doubt if your average
80's HDD could cope with that sort of shock.

I suspect other military ops have similar capabilities.

I agree I wouldn't want to work in one for any length of time. Still,
might be nicer than being outside given some of the suggested locales.