[Beowulf] HDD reliability numbers

steve_heaton at iinet.net.au steve_heaton at iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 18 19:51:03 PDT 2006

G'day all

A month or so ago there was a fresh round of discussion on the relative merits
of the different flavours of hard disk storge.

As usual, we're all looking for some Real World (TM) numbers. I doubt this
counts but I came across a prezo from Seagate and Microsoft (so it's obviously
in PowerPoint format):
http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/8/f/98f3fe47-dfc3-4e74-92a3-088782200fe7/TWST05005_WinHEC05.ppt

Check out slide 21.

Probably not worth taking toooo seriously given it's from a HDD manufacturer who
one might suspect is more interested in selling more expensive product. Also not
a lot of details on the actual testing.

Anyhoo... more fuel for the next round ;)

Cheers
Stevo