[Beowulf] Has anyone actually seen/used a cell system?

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Mon Oct 2 07:54:38 PDT 2006

Not wanting to sound too negative, but total nonsense concept.

First of all this 'sequoia' claims to be a new programming language. Meaning
it'll take a year or 30
until some good compilers for it are there, provided someone is going to
support it.

Which isn't going to happen.

The parallellization basically is based upon complex assumptions for
programmers. So for programmers they don't actually make it easier than
trivial parallellization is via C/C++ function calls.

The sequoia parallellization basically is simplistically over for loops that
a programmer himself can
trivially parallellize too.

Further the optimization of sequoia simply doesn't happen. They assume
"kernel libraries" solve the
problem. Interestingly it mentions explicitly:

"if kernel libraries could be obtained, such as FFTW and the intel MKL for
PCs, or the IBM SPE matrix library for Cell, we call these libraries from
Sequoia leaf tasks".

In short if some algorithm has not been implemented for sequoia, sequoia is
unusable.
Others may do the work as usual to promote sequoia.

Not gonna happen.

If a processor has a lot of cores and isn't having a native support from
intel nor ibm, then it is going to fail.

Lot of assumptions. In the end what you need is a 1000 compiler personnel
who optimize a compiler,
especially when it has to be built from ground up.

Who is going to pay them for sequoia?

ANL (Another new language) is what everyone writing things on paper in an
university likes to invent,
but that's not going to help us execute our programs easier let alone
faster.

There is so many little tricks in implementation of a compiler that it is a
sheer impossible task for a few people to create an efficient compiler. Why
do all those paper guys not practical help to optimize GCC,
which definitely needs some help, especially a 64 bits port that works in 64
bits windows at x86-64.

Right now there is only some possibilities to create 32 bits gcc exes for
windows using for example
mingw with their msys.

I can garantuee you that those paper guys keep writing such papers and show
up with ANL.

Vincent