[Beowulf] What does anybody know about DRC ?

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue May 23 07:35:58 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 08:58 -0400, leo wrote:
> Has anybody had an experience or comment on the DRC CO-processor
> Module?
>
> See http://www.drccomputer.com/
Its very interesting, and if anyone on this side of the pond is
interested in trying one, or porting code to it we would like to help.

> It seems its could be fairly disruptive in the cluster arena
I'm not sure about that. Beowulf is all about clustering COTS
components. For example, Opterons themselves are manufactured for the
volume server market, not specifically for HPC.
As with any accelerator addon you have to balance out the time spent
recompiling ot altering your code to run on it, vs. the speedup you will
get.