[Beowulf] running out of rsh ports

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed May 3 12:21:57 PDT 2006

David Simas wrote:

> Except that it probably won't help with the problem, which I'm
> guessing is caused by a given host attempting more than 1024
> RSH connections to a given server in less than TCP TIME WAIT
> seconds (minutes, whatever).  If the original correspondent

Actually it handles exactly these cases.  The FANOUT variable lets you
indicate the appropriate parallelism for rsh.  I believe pdsh is in use
on the big clusters ( > 1024 nodes at the national labs )

> doesn't want to use SSH for RSH, which would fix things

True, and you can use ssh with pdsh.  Or rsh.  With no syntax change to
the end user.

> SSH isn't restricted to low-numbered ports, he could try to
> re-implement his application in MPI.

The basic question a few of us have is exactly what is Bruce and team
doing that is causing them to run out of ports.  Once we see this, we
can stop guessing and make better/targetted suggestions.

--

Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com
phone: +1 734 786 8423
fax  : +1 734 786 8452 or +1 866 888 3112
cell : +1 734 612 4615