[Beowulf] Gigabit switch recommendations

Yaroslav Halchenko list-beowulf at onerussian.com
Tue Mar 28 21:33:09 PST 2006

Hi Joshua,

I am pretty much in the same situation as yours -- about to acquire a
switch to handle our NFS-loaded cluster needs (which will have 30
nodes soon)

I presented my findings and asked for recommendations on this list not
long ago
http://www.beowulf.org/archive/2006-February/014998.html
unfortunately my query was left without comments, so I am left at the
point where I have no choice rather than to give a try to
DGS-1248T, and hope that firmware upgrade would give me 9k jumbo's as
promised.

Is there any reason why are you considering managed switch with all
kinds of unnecessary for a cluster switch features (Layer 2,3 QoS,
spanning trees, etc) instead of simpler/cheaper high-density (>40
ports) ones (like D-Link I mentioned)? I might be missing some crucial
knowledge in networking ;-)

--
                                  .-.
                   Linux User    ^^-^^    [175555]