[Beowulf] Re: pci-e network adapters

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Fri Mar 24 06:02:53 PST 2006

"Dietrich Heese-Boutin" <dietrich.heese.boutin at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> Any one have success running gig-e through the pci-e bus?
Yes, of course, However be careful as quite a few do not yet support "channel bonding" aka "teaming" aka "Link aggregation"
Intel recalled their dual port fibre GbE NICs over this issue, with a re-issue supposed to happen in April.
SysKonnect dual channel do not yet support that either, despite ad/spec sheet claims.
> Syskonnect seems to have quite a few gig-e pci-e adapters.
Several, in a wide range.
Other than the bonding issue they work very well
> Would cpu load be reduced greatly by using these rather than the onboard broadcom gig-e?
Some yes, some "not a lot".
 To get something with decent TCP offload you need to get into a more "high end" adapter.
Naturally the $00 ones do not so so much.

> so far I've only see 1x pci-e gig-e, anything higher say 4x pci-e at a reasonable price?
Chelsio make this. Depends on your definition of "reasonable price"

> viable option to older myrinet gear?
Don't confuse bandwidth with latency.
GbE has latency that is much greater than Myrinet, old or new.

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius        Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.  FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue         email:maurice at harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada       http://www.harddata.com/
   T5X 1Y3