[Beowulf] Vector coprocessors AND CILK

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 22 14:52:19 PST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Harman" <billharman at comcast.net>
To: "'Vincent Diepeveen'" <diep at xs4all.nl>; <daniel.pfenniger at obs.unige.ch>;
"'Jim Lux'" <James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov>
Cc: <beowulf at beowulf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 11:05 PM
Subject: RE: [Beowulf] Vector coprocessors AND CILK

> Should the question not be: how much are you willing to pay.  If you only
> get a 2X speed up in your run time for $10K, then you will buy more nodes.
> If you get a 10X, you may call it a wash and could go either way.  If you
> see a 1000X then you will pay a great deal more than $10K.  I have seen a
> bioinformatics application where the site installed a reconfigurable FPGA
> box and got an approx. 1400X improvement on a Smith-Waterman application,
> vs
> their Linux Cluster.

Only 1400x speedimprovement in bioinformatics?

That's very little.

I remember helping out a PHD student there whose university in USA is using
some very slow software program.
There is a commercial solution which calculates the same thing factor
100000x faster. There is another 10 commercial
solutions which are also nearly a 100k times faster.

However they want a certain outcome, so this years 80 program, is what his
professor likes more.
As the outcome supports the faculties viewpoint on how in past certain
things have evolved until now,
and only that years 80 program that's eating a cpu or 100-400 now nonstop,
is having that outcome they like to conclude.

Note also in physics sometimes a factor 1000 speedup is something you just
blink your eyes for. I know examples of departments where some good
programmer started work who speeded up those matrix calculations with the
precision they needed about factor 1000 on average.

If i just look in my own area what universities do there, then their
research is 20 years outdated already, or some wrong conclusion gets drawn
simply because they can't program or do not want to program, as programming
gets seen as 'dirty work'.

Especially in Artificial Intelligence, you see endless numbers of
researches, who nonstop rewrite conclusions from old researches, as their
own software attempt was so hopeless and such a beginners attempt, that if
you compare that to Cilk, this Leierson & co are pretty holy.

"only a factor 50 slower".

> Economy of scale applies to the computer consumer mass
> market, but rarely does it apply in the more demanding HPC market, in
> general terms, for these type of products.

Economy in the end drives every technology.

You won't get funding right now for a Cray 4 processor machine @ 1Ghz which
is eating 500 kilowatt.

The pc processors simply have won based upon production price.
My attempt there very clearly demonstrated that.

With respect to highend just the time it takes to realize for those
commissions what a processor
of today can and cannot do, after which we'll see a huge number of
bankrupcies, or downsizing of companies, in highend.

The university world will simply take time to also follow that path. To give
concrete examples why:

My government here in europe ordered a 416 processor Altix3000 delivering 2
Tflop on
paper for i guess around 12.5 million euro. For one third of that the lofar
project ordered a 12288 processor IBM machine
delivering tens of tflops.

The professor in the commission of that SGI machine, that's writing reports
didn't even realize
that the k8 processor has SSE2 nor that it has 1024KB L2.

He wrote down in his report. Quote page 18 (overview of recent
supercomputers):
   "due to shrinkage of components the chip now can harbour the secondary
cache of 256KB and the memory controller".

This report was printed in januari 2004 and written end of 2003.
Opteron was tested and showcased around end of april 2003 and had a 1MB L2
right from the start.

He just doesn't realize that k8 has SSE2 for example.
Only from Intel Xeon processor they realized it.

Additionally many of those "high performances" professors are just busy with
L2 cache,
whereas the most important cache is the L1 cache.

I'll forgive them. They are not active working anymore, just busy with
meetings and doing good work for their students,
and cashing in some money in tens of commissions.

Following their own field must be incredible hard with all those activity,
no hard words there. They earned their marks in the past.

However it's easy to demonstrate why only L1 is real important, the rest is
just of secondary importance.
90%+ of all hits are usually in L1, some databases which get 80% hits
excepted, putting thereby the size
and speed of L2 completely irrelevant.

For my own program this was clearly demonstrated by Johan de Gelas, testing
2 near to identical P4's just a difference in L2 size.
It was 0% difference.

If you're going to multiply things that aren't in registers yet, then
obviously not the multiplication unit is the biggest problem, but
the fact that the Prescott P4 can only issue 1 instruction in 4 cycles.
Which means you have a latency of 8 cycles before the next multiplication
can take place. Versus at A64 you can do it every 3 cycles, as you can 2
reads simultaneously.

Size of L2 is completely irrelevant in all those cases.

Of course, such a report simply is 1 year behind. After such report releases
then another 6 months pass to buy a new system.
By then of course the knowledge where decisions get taken upon is 2 years
outdated then another delay and a year later a machine is installed. Total
time lost 3 years. By then a new generation product is already there at
other companies which is either a lot cheaper or delivering more for the
same price.

Development goes fast in hardware in that sense.

But it's hard to deny that the PC processors have won everywhere.
So the only real interesting question now is: "how to cluster them?"