[Beowulf] HP xw9300 end-of-life?

Peter Wainwright prw at ceiriog.eclipse.co.uk
Fri Mar 17 14:01:43 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 12:08 +0000, prw at ceiriog.eclipse.co.uk wrote:
> Please forgive the slightly off-topic posting. Though I'm lurking on this list and
> planning to build a beowulf next year, in the meantime we need an extra high-end
> personal
> workstation to plug the gap.
> We recently tried to order an xw9300, but our suppliers are telling us it is
> "end-of-life".
> This seems rather surprising, if true, given the good things I have heard about
> this model,
> and the fact that it is barely a year since it was released.
>
> Anyone else heard rumours about this?

Panic over - our resellers got the story wrong. It turns out that
whereas they
used to sell a couple of preconfigured models DV082EA and DV083EA, they
now
intend that the resellers should order a machine built to the
customer's exact requirements (great!). Those two models are still shown
on the HP UK website, but if you try to order with those part numbers
you
find they are not available. Unfortunately the reseller interpreted this
as meaning NO xw9300's were available. I got the true story from HP
EMEA.

I draw a discreet veil over the name of the large UK company which
messed
up and caused us a few moments of panic there.

Peter