[Beowulf] Vector coprocessors

Craig Tierney ctierney at hypermall.net
Thu Mar 16 20:27:11 PST 2006

Joe Landman wrote:

> Robert G. Brown wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Joe Landman wrote:
>>
>>> I think (WAG here) that Clearspeed wants people to design a socket
>>> onto motherboards for them.  Lowers the costs all around.
>>

>> Wouldn't the sane thing to do be just putting them on an HT interface?
>> Eliminate the PCI interface altogether, provide symmetric access to e.g.
>> processor and memory etc resources.
>
> If you have a spare HT interface, yes.  If you have a "socket" on the MB
> you can to HT to that.  Or run it out the HTX connector.  This is not
> something that you want in the IO channel.
>
> BTW:  Anyone know if Intel is considering doing HT?  Would be nice.

I would doubt it.  Intel sees themselves as a leader, and to
go follow AMD (and the consortium) wouldn't fit.  Look around
for information on the Intel Common System Interface (CSI).

http://endian.net/details.asp?tag=csi

There isn't much information there, but it indicates that CSI
is to compete with HT.

Craig