[Beowulf] Vector coprocessors

Craig Tierney ctierney at hypermall.net
Thu Mar 16 07:15:17 PST 2006

Daniel Pfenniger wrote:
> The shipment of this accelerator card has been delayed many times. Last
> time
> I asked was October 2005.   Apparently the first shipment has been made
> this
> month for a Japanese supercomputer with 10^4 Opterons.   The cost is not
> indicated, but something like above $8000.- per card would put it outside
> commodity hardware.  I wouldn't be astonished that more performance can
> be obtained in most applications with commodity clustering.

Commodity clustering isn't going to give you 50Gflops for 25Watts.  They
are providing canned libraries to use the card, like BLAS.  If all you
had to do was relink your program and it worked, that would
significantly cheaper than porting your code to MPI.  Well, unless you
happen to have access to a lot of grad students.

> If Clearspeed would consider mass production with a cost like $100.-$500.-
> per card the market would be huge, because the card would be competing with
> multi-core processors like the IBM-Sony Cell.

Do you have pricing on the Cell blades or co-processor boards?  I doubt
they will be $8k, but I doubt they will be $100-$500.

Craig