[Beowulf] Vector coprocessors

Daniel Pfenniger daniel.pfenniger at obs.unige.ch
Thu Mar 16 00:04:32 PST 2006

The shipment of this accelerator card has been delayed many times. Last time
I asked was October 2005.   Apparently the first shipment has been made this
month for a Japanese supercomputer with 10^4 Opterons.   The cost is not
indicated, but something like above $8000.- per card would put it outside
commodity hardware.  I wouldn't be astonished that more performance can
be obtained in most applications with commodity clustering.

If Clearspeed would consider mass production with a cost like $100.-$500.-
per card the market would be huge, because the card would be competing with
multi-core processors like the IBM-Sony Cell.

The possibly most interesting niche for the Clearspeed cards appears to me
accelerating proprietary applications like Matlab, Mathematica and particularly
Excel that run on a single PC and that can hardly be reprogrammed by their
users to run on a distributed cluster.

Dan