[Beowulf] Re: newbie's dilemma / firewire? (Piskorski, Ropers-Huilman)

Ed Karns edkarns at firewirestuff.com
Mon Mar 6 11:29:54 PST 2006

On Mar 4, 2006, at 12:00 PM, beowulf-request at beowulf.org wrote:

>> ... page about it.  Is anyone even using Firewire as a network
>> interconnect for real, anywhere?
>
> We are considering it as a test. If I do follow through on that I
> will post some bandwidth and latency results for all to see.

For small file transfer between nodes, performance may be a wash,
with EtherNet 1000baseT being easier to implement and more cost
effective in some cases. However, the bulk file transfer rates for
very large files via FireWire 400 (1394a) is significantly faster
than 1000baseT and FireWire 800 (1394b) is more than 240% faster that
GigaBit EtherNet.

See: http://www.linux1394.org/ and http://www.linux1394.org/
introduction.php and http://oss.oracle.com/projects/firewire/

For consideration: Alias' Maya CGI graphics rendering & 3D modeling
software on multiple FireWire / IEEE 1394 connected systems.
(FireWire 1394 is required for some 3D modeler software / hardware
scenarios = http://www.sensable.com/products/Maya/
ClayTools_Maya_hardware.asp )

Implementation is a piece of cake, hardware wise, on several Apple
Macs running either Linux or OSX. Stack 'em up, hook them as peer to
peer via FireWire 3-port or 6-port hubs. Best performance is from
less than 16 CPUs in a cluster, transparent bridging between multiple
clusters is accomplished with added PCI or PCI Extreme port cards.

Ed Karns
FireWireStuff.com