[Beowulf] 'dual' Quad solution from Tyan

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 1 18:05:52 PST 2006

Oh Ricardo,

Before i forget to mention. If power is a problem with SATA disks,
consider that in general Maxtor diskdrives eat a LOT more power than
those of several other manufacturers.

At least that's when i read the power consumption that's written on the disk
itself and compare it to others.

Note this didn't stop me from buying 4 maxtor S-ATA drives, as i expect
those drives to fail soon,
and when one fails i want to bicycle only 1 street to a computershop here
which only sells Maxtors (of course,
as it brings him the most profit those disks). Returning disks to a
computershop that's 100 KM away is
always such problems.

Yet i'm very interested in knowing reactions from others here what they find
from those huge power differences
in harddrives.