[Beowulf] compatibility between different versions of mpich

Patrick Geoffray patrick at myri.com
Thu Jun 29 13:58:28 PDT 2006

Hi Toon,

Toon Knapen wrote:
> In particular I'm interested if e.g. the mpirun script of version 1.2.7
> is supposed to be able to launch an application that was compiled with
> 1.2.5.2.

The mpirun scripts are specific to each device, ie the mpirun.ch_p4 is
not the same as mpirun.ch_gm or mpirun.ch_mx. As long as you don't use
an mpirun from a different device, it should be safe ti mismatch
versions, even more likely between minor versions (1.2.X).

> And what about the mpirun script that comes with mpichgm? What happens
> if that is being used to launch an application that was linked to (the
> static library) of an mpich-installation that was configured to use the
> ch_p4 device?

It won't work, ch_p4 and ch_gm use very different spawning process.

Patrick