[Beowulf] Slection from processor choices; Requesting Giudence

laytonjb at charter.net laytonjb at charter.net
Thu Jun 15 15:34:32 PDT 2006

I sort of agree :)

We've seen dual-core do very well on most CFD applications. For instance
switching to dual-core on Fluent only results in about a 5% loss of performance.
On other CFD codes the difference is on the noise. So I would recommend
dual-core CPUs.

I echo Michaels' comments about 1 GB per core. I think this is kind of the
minimum and you should think about 2 GB per core.

As for the interconnect.... this gets a bit more involved. IMHO the choice depends
upon how many cores you will use in the a single job. If you run a small number
of cores, then GigE is just great. You can even try something like GAMMA if you
want to reduce the latency. I've gotten some pretty good results with GAMMA vs.
plain-jane GigE. But be careful of the GigE NICs you choose. The Intel NICS are
so much better than the standard Broadcom NICs. Plus they are tunable so you
can adjust the drivers to your code.

At the next level I would recommend Level 5 (now Solarflare). Thier low-latency
GigE NICs are pretty nice. One of the coolest things is that you don't have to rebuild
your codes to use. This REALLY helps with ISV applications. One example CFD code
I tested with Level 5 showed that it got about half of the IB performance gain
(relative to GigE) at less than 1/3 the cost. So for this code it was a
price/peformance winner.

Other codes do very well on other networks vs. IB.  I can't say too much since the
results were done by my company. :)

However, I'm not always convinced that IB is the right way to go with CFD codes.
Yes, you get the ultimate performance. Yes it allows codes to scale better (but
I've seen good CFD codes scale to over 80% on GigE at 200 CPUs). But I'm not
convinced it's a price/performance winner, particular if your job only runs a
reasonable number of processors in a single job.

Anyway - my 2 cents :)

Jeff