[Beowulf] MS HPC... Oh dear...

Greg Lindahl greg.lindahl at qlogic.com
Wed Jun 14 10:26:01 PDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 12:25:04PM -0400, Joe Landman wrote:

> Quadrics/Myrinet/Infinipath folks... care to comment?  Somehow I don't
> really think that this makes sense, cutting off a $4B+ market growing at
> 60+%/year in order to service a market of questionable size, growth
> rate, and interest, not to mention longevity, but stranger things have
> happened.

There is no chance we will stop releasing Linux drivers just because
Microsoft HPC exists. We may do a Windows driver in addition to our
existing software.

V?nc?nt wrote:

> >And in the end what matters is that visual studio 2005 and newer is
> >simply 20% to 50% faster for most codes
> >than GCC. GCC suffering from bugs everywhere with pgo still and somehow
> >it isn't really faster for K8.

gcc does have some problems on floating point codes, but instead of
switching to Windows, you can always buy that PathScale compiler.

-- greg
(employed by, not speaking for, QLogic.)