[Beowulf] MS HPC... Oh dear...

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jun 12 11:02:17 PDT 2006

At 08:55 AM 6/12/2006, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
>>From: "Jim Lux" <James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov>
>>I'll just be waiting for the .NET Framework 2.x "cluster computing
>>namespace" with all the message passing primitives.
>
>Oh such primitives will undoubtfully get casted onto the tcp/ip library using
>the swapfile.

Actually.. According to MS:
  (April 2006 MSDN Magazine)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/06/04/ClusterComputing/default.aspx

MSMPI provides a standard messaging implementation for the Windows platform
based on MPICH2, an open source implementation of MPI 2.0 started by the
Argonne National Laboratory. MSMPI supports language bindings for
Fortran77, Fortran90, C, and C++. CCS does not provide a Microsoft® .NET
Framework class library for MPI. However, jobs implemented with serial
tasks can be developed in .NET Framework-compliant languages, and jobs that
do rely on MPI can use many of the MPI functions through P/Invoke. Future
versions of the CCS are expected to provide a .NET Framework interface for MPI.

--- P/Invoke is the .NET way in which you make OS API calls.

I'm kind of surprised that they're not providing a Framework class
library.  P/Invoke is largely viewed as a "hack" within the developer
community, because it relies on a lot of knowledge about the underlying
OS.  You "should" have all those little details encapsulated in a nice
class library.

Jim