[Beowulf] Clusters and Distro Lifespans

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jul 19 10:25:52 PDT 2006

At 09:31 AM 7/19/2006, Robert G. Brown wrote:
>On Wed, 19 Jul 2006, Stu Midgley wrote:
>
>>We also have our install process configured to allow booting different
>>distros/images, which is useful to boot diagnostic cd images etc.
>
>Good point and one I'd forgotten to mention.  It is really lovely to
>keep a PXE boot image pointed at t
<snip of good stuff>

>  having a local PXE boot
>server is a lovely idea, and one that gives you upward mobility towards
>the DIY cluster as you master running linux.

And, what I'd really, really like is a small standalone server (headless)
that is like a pocket sized network attached disk storage.  Like those
portable drives with a Firewire or USB interface, except with an RJ45
Ethernet jack. If it could run things like DHCP, tftpserver, etc., all the
better.

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075