[Beowulf] about clusters in high schools

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Fri Jan 27 16:32:53 PST 2006

A couple of thoughts.

I know of a major University located in a large southern State where
numerical analysis is taught using Excel, rather than having the kids
learn how to write code in Fortran (that was FORTRAN [not shouting] in
the old days; I see you spelled it correctly ;-) or C.  Somehow I think
they're missing something in not having to go through the exercise.

Mathcad and MatLab both have their uses but I'm not real happy seeing
MatLab now seen as a parallelizable modeling tool.  We're installing it
for our Civil Engineering dept. so they can run some code they have, so
I'll have more opinion about it shortly.  What I fear is that, in using
such a high-level "language" to script their models and analyses, the
students... and the prof's... will have failed to understand the errors
when they make 'em.

Right now, my son isn't interested in learning how to write code.  It's
not "cool" in his group of friends, and he sees the hours I put in at
work as too much.  I'm envious of you and the relationship that got you
to the point where your son was able to embrace some of this.

For what it's worth, I guess I'll have to be content with a great kid,
and a pretty good soccer player, and teaching grad students how to write
numerical weather code in an antiquated language!

gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020  FAX 979.862.3983
MAIL:  AATLT, 3139 TAMU
Physical: 1700 Research Parkway, Suite 160,
College Station, TX 77843-3139