[Beowulf] about clusters in high schools

Brian D. Ropers-Huilman bropers at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Jan 26 19:09:05 PST 2006

My first cut response, not the RGB 'bot response, which I'm sure will be
full of excellent anecdotes, is: absolutely.

My sources say -- pay attention to the upcoming State of the Union address.
You'll hear a lot of talk about U.S. competitiveness in STEM (Science,
Technology, Engineering and Mathematics). HPC is used more and more
regularly in "traditional" businesses such as finance or even package delivery.

Modeling or simulation is becoming the third pillar of Science, next to
theory and research [ Ref.: pg. 12 of the 2005 U.S. PITAC report
"Computational Science: Ensuring America?s Competitiveness" ].

While this whole "competitiveness" bit smells strongly of "the sky is
falling," I happen to believe strongly that, regardless of our weakening or
strengthening of STEM graduates in the States, HPC is steadily moving it's
way out of academe and into every day business.

The Council on Competitiveness did an excellent short video, using the
Penguins from the movie "Madagascar," on "HPC in Everyday Life" [
http://www.compete.org/hpc/everyday_life_video.asp ]. {full disclosure: we
contributed to this video}. For $10, it's a cheap way to possibly further
influence the School system or wary parents.