[Beowulf] using two separate networks for different data streams

Kevin Ball kball at pathscale.com
Thu Jan 26 13:32:54 PST 2006

>   I've seen architectures with two network switchs, one is used for I/O
> (writing, reading, so on) and another for message passing (MPI). how is
> this achieved? I get the idea, from one place, where the applications
> running must be aware of this but I was thinking that for this to work it
> must be transparent to the application. How can this be achieved?

One fairly straightforward way to do this is to have a file system NFS
mounted over some form of Ethernet and use that for your files that are
doing IO, and then have an MPI implementation over whatever other
network you want.  A central clearing house for learning about NFS is
http://nfs.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps!

-Kevin