[Beowulf] g77 limits...

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Feb 23 11:51:55 PST 2006

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, Toon Moene wrote:

> I wrote:
>
>>       SUBROUTINE SUB(A, N)
>>       DIMENSION A(N)
>>       DO I = 1, N
>>          A(I) = I
>>       ENDDO
>>       END
>
> Grrrrr .... Little Endian Machines - you got to love to hate them.  This
> should of course be:
>
>      SUBROUTINE SUB(A, N)
>      INTEGER*8 I, N
>      DIMENSION A(N)
>      DO I = 1, N
>         A(I) = I
>      ENDDO
>      END
>
> To maximize the "runes" effect I've written this in all uppercase :-)

Properly indented and everything.  I wouldn't even recognize it as
Fortran otherwise.

Now all I have to do is find a Rosetta stone somewhere, and a magnifying
glass (as I'm getting old and presbyopic:-)... what is this ENDDO
command?  Where are the numbers, as in:

       DO 10 I = 1, N
          DO_SOME_WORK(I)
10    CONTINUE

???  And where are the line labels in columns 73-80?  These ARE punch
card images, aren't they...:-)

     rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu