[Beowulf] g77 limits...

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Wed Feb 22 14:45:06 PST 2006

> > > archives because it is so time dependent an answer.  In particular, can
> > > an x64 box with a modern linux kernel and a modern g77 allocate 4-8 GB
> >
> > isn't "modern g77" a bit of an oxymoron?
> > (given the existence of gfortran, I mean).
>
> Oh, I was totally confused by the combination "g77" and "allocate".
>
> Robert, try g95. Although it is not part of the gnu stream but
> it seems more stable at the moment. It works stand alone.

why g95?  gfortran _is_ part of the normal GCC stream, and 4.02
seems fairly mature (4.1 is about to come out).

> However in terms of performance you may lose considerably
> compared to commercial compilers.

these days, gcc does pretty well compared to commercial compilers, if you
take care to -march, -msse2 and other tweaks.  I can't see why this
pretty respectable code quality for c/c++/etc wouldn't also apply to
fortran.  even the ada and java people seem to be almost happy with
gcc's code-gen...